Reviews 2800+ Verified REVIEWS
Tax Guide
Tax Guide
All articles
You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience. X
You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience. X
IRS Stimulus Check #3 - $1,400 per adult and child  More info

What Are Totalization Agreements and How Do They Affect Your US Expat Taxes?

What Are Totalization Agreements and How Do They Affect Your US Expat Taxes?
Ines Zemelman, EA
20 July 2015

If you are living overseas, you may have heard of agreements between the United States and your foreign countries known as the Totalization Agreements.  You may also have heard them being referred to as Social Security Agreements.  For US Expats living and working abroad, it’s very important to know whether the United States has a Totalization Agreement with your host country and the details of such an agreement.

Without familiarizing yourself with the details of an active Social Security Agreement, you may be stuck making Social Security contributions to two countries.

What Exactly Is a Totalization Agreement?

A Totalization Agreement is a convention between two countries preventing duplicate Social Security contributions for the same income.  At this time, the United States has active Totalization Agreements with 24 countries.  To find out which countries have an agreement with the United States, take a look at the IRS list of Social Security Agreements.  You will see that they are mostly with developed countries rather than emerging ones.

Totalization Agreements are extremely important, because US Expats living and working overseas can face dual taxation when it comes to Social Security if such an agreement is not in place.  They are especially important if you are self-employed.  There are generally specific rules about self-employment and Social Security, and it’s important to understand all the details if you are in a country with which the United States has a Totalization Agreement.

Under these agreements, dual coverage and dual contributions (taxes) for the same work are eliminated. The agreements generally make sure that you pay social security taxes to only one country.

Under these agreements, dual coverage and dual contributions for the same work are eliminated. Generally, under these agreements, you will only be subject to social security taxes in the country where you are working. However, if you are temporarily sent to work in a foreign country and your pay would otherwise be subject to social security taxes in both the United States and that country, you generally can remain covered only by U.S. social security.

How Totalization Agreement Affect Employed Individuals.

Expats working for a foreign employer are generally exempt from Social Security and Medicare withholdings from their salary. Instead, they make contributions through the employer withholding to the resident country system (i.e. UK National Insurance or French Securite Social or Singapore CPF). There is a difference, though, in how credits earned in UK of France (countries with Totalization Agreement) and credits earned in Singapore (no Totalization agreement) can be applied in the future to qualify for Social Security benefits in the U.S.

Credits earned in the country with Totalization agreement can be transferred to other party of the agreement (i.e. from UK to U.S. or vice versa) if a dual resident has insufficient number of credits in one of the countries to qualify for the benefits. While transferred to other country Social Security system, those credits do not reduce the number of credits accumulated in other country - so you may be eligible to collect social security benefits from both systems once you reach the retirement age.

Whereas credits accumulated in Singapore or any other country not a party to the Agreement, may not be transferred. On a positive side, contributions made to the Singapore Central Provident Fund, or other country without Totalization Agreement may be applied in lieu of the foreign tax credit and thus reduce U.S. income tax amoung.

How Totalization Agreement Affect Self-Employed Individuals.

Self-employed individuals are also exempt from double taxation by two Social Security systems. However, the country to which contributions have to be made defined differently depending on the source of Social Security income, the length of self-employment activity (extended or incidental income) and for some countries it is defined by the nationality rather than residency (i.e. Italian citizens make contributions to Italian system while non-citizens residing in Italy make contributions to the U.S. Social Security system). To be sure of the country to which you will make your contributions, make sure to check with the agreement that is in place (if any) between the United States and the foreign country in which you’re living and working.

Certificate of Coverage

If you are self-employed and would normally have to pay Social Security taxes to both the U.S. and the foreign country Social Security systems, you can establish your exemption from one of the taxes by writing to:

  • If you reside in the foreign country, certificate of coverage should be requested in the Social Security (National Insurance) office of that country. The address of the agency for your country can be found at the U.S. Social Security Administration  website.

Be sure to provide the following information in your request

  • Full name;
  • Date and place of birth;
  • Citizenship;
  • Country of permanent residence;
  • U.S. and/or resident country. Social Security number;
  • Nature of self-employment activity;
  • Dates the activity was or will be performed; and
  • Name and address of your trade or business in both countries.

When you file U.S. tax return and claim exemption through the Totalization Agreement, Certificate of Coverage does not need to be attached if you e-file tax return. However, you should procure such certificate for each year where you claim exemption from U.S. Social Security tax in case of the IRS verification request.

Ines Zemelman, EA
Founder of TFX