Reviews 4,000+ verified REVIEWS
Pricing plans
Compare all plans
Tax guide
Pricing plans
Compare all plans
Tax Guide
All articles

Phone tax consultation

At TFX, we understand that clients have different needs. That is why we offer three types of phone tax consultations.

CPA Phone Consultation Expat tax planning

Schedule a free tax consultation

Talk to one of our expert advisors before having us work on your case (up to 30 minutes). While this service is free, it requires a $50 retainer towards your tax preparation fees.

Get on the phone with our team of experts

In the initial consultation, we will discuss your optimal method of filing expat taxes, how to complete our Tax Questionnaire, what documents may be necessary, as well as timelines. This is a good place to start for those who are new to TFX, plan to have us prepare their expat tax return and want to discuss their situation with a U.S. tax consultant on the phone before we begin.

Are there support options without a retainer?

Yes! We host a webinar (there is also a recorded version you can watch at any time) where you can learn all about TFX and how we work. In addition to a live demonstration and overview, members of our tax team will also be there to answer any questions.

Finally, you can always schedule a call with a member of our onboarding team:

  1. You can call us directly on +1 (646)EXPAT US.
  2. You can call free online.
  3. Email us at to set up a call at a convenient time.

CPA phone consultation

While working with us, you may want to get a tax advisor consultation. Because we work on a fixed-fee basis (as opposed to billable hours), we can't offer this service for free. We do, however, offer the option to schedule a 30-minute paid consultation.


Phone consultation for up to 30 minutes with your tax consultant $150

How does the phone tax consultation service work?

Once you create an account in the TFX system, choose 'Phone Consult' from the sidebar and select CPA Phone Consultation. You will be able to choose an available time slot that works for you and talk to an expat tax consultant.

When do you need to chat with tax expert?

Select this option if you have specific questions about your expat tax return and don’t want to discuss them by email (which is always free). We aim to price it at a very affordable rate so that most clients who want to discuss their case on the phone can do so.

Expat tax planning

If you have specific U.S. tax questions outside the confines of your tax return that you would like to have a tax consultation with an international tax consultant, this is the service for you.


30-minute telephone expat tax planning session $250
Optional follow-up quantitative scenario analysis (price per hour) $200

How does it work?

Once you create an account in the TFX system, choose 'Phone Consult' from the sidebar and select Tax Planning. You will be able to choose an available time slot that works for you.

You will submit a brief overview of your situation and a list of topics/questions that you would like to discuss. A senior member of our team will review the information provided and, if necessary, request additional details. Note: this expat tax planning consultation covers the impact on U.S tax from worldwide income, from all sources. We do not advise on local (non-U.S.) country tax impact.

If your inquiry falls outside the area of our expertise, or requires additional analysis, we will notify you in advance and you will have an opportunity to decide how you'd like to proceed.

It is likely that we will ask additional questions that would allow us to provide further guidance or offer tax planning suggestions. By having an expert guide you, you will learn about issues that you didn’t even realize could be important. For now, they are your unknown unknowns.

If you are interested in follow-up quantitative analysis, we can do so at our standard rate of $200 per hour.

Sample cases

Personal tax planning Business tax planning

Provided that I can only qualify for the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion based on the Physical Presence Test, how should I plan in advance my summer vacations to the U.S. over the next two years in order to obtain the maximum allowed amount of earned income and housing exclusion?

I received a job offer with relocation to Dubai, UAE. I would like to evaluate three scenarios of U.S. federal and state tax consequences of accepting the offer:

  • I live in Dubai while my wife stays in the U.S. and continues working.
  • I live in Dubai with my wife. I work for a foreign employer and my wife works remotely for a U.S. employer.
  • My wife and I both move to Dubai. I work; my wife does not work.

How should I structure salary and dividends distribution from my UK corporation for the upcoming year to receive the most beneficial U.S. tax results?

I run an online business in India selling goods through eBay to customers in the U.S. I would like to evaluate the U.S. tax consequences of two business structures:

  • Establishing a branch of Indian corporation in Delaware. The U.S. branch of foreign corporation would receive income from U.S. operations and pay salary to myself and to the U.S. agent residing in New York state.
  • Establishing an independent U.S. corporation in Delaware. The U.S. corporation would buy goods wholesale from my Indian corporation. I will receive salary from Indian corporation. The U.S. corporation will pay salary to the U.S. corporate officer.

I live and work in Romania. I would like to evaluate my opportunities for opening an individual U.S. retirement account. How much I am allowed to contribute and what will be the U.S. tax saving effect?

I am a single owner of an S-corporation. I provide web publishing services for U.S. clients. My husband received a job offer in France and I am going to join him. What would be my federal, state, and self-employment tax obligations if I continue running the U.S. business while living in France?

I would like to open a ROTH IRA account. I heard that taxpayers applying for foreign earned income exclusion do not qualify for ROTH IRA contributions. Is this correct? Can you calculate how much I am allowed to contribute?

I am a sole proprietor living and working in Brazil. Since there is no Social Security Totalization Agreement between Brazil and U.S., I am subject to double taxation. I pay self-employment tax both in Brazil and in the U.S.

Will it be cost-effective for me to incorporate my business in Brazil? What would be the total resulting U.S. tax saving consequences?