How US Expats Can Make Online Tax Payments
How to Remit Online Payment for Your US Expat Taxes
The deadline of June 15 for US expats has come and gone, and there are those who have still yet to pay their tax balance owed to the IRS. There still may be time for you to remit your payment online to avoid penalties being assessed. It’s true that you could send a check, but the processing time of making a payment online is much more efficient and helps to guarantee your payment will be processed before negative action takes place.
Here is a convenient list of links to help you satisfy your IRS tax debt online:
EFTPS (Electronic Federal Tax Payment System)
- You must register online to take advantage of this option. After successful registration you are sent a letter which will help you complete your online payment. It generally takes around 10 business days to receive the letter after registering. Registration for EFTPS requires you to have an active checking account, but there is no fee assessed for online payments made.
- Register at https://www.eftps.gov/eftps/
- This is a popular option for expats with a foreign bank account. Although there is a small charge applied for taking advantage of this option (generally under $4), payments can be made quickly and without having to register.
- To pay using this option, visit https://www.pay1040.com/
- This online payment venue typically charges 2.35% of the total amount paid and a minimum payment of $3.95. You may be able to take advantage of a flat fee of $3.95 if you pay using a Visa debit card.
- You may remit state, local, and educational payments.
- You have the option of paying by phone by calling 1-888-UPAY-TAX (1-888-872-9829).
- Visit https://www.officialpayments.com/fed for more information.
Pay USA Tax
- Besides EFTPS, this is the least expensive option. Pay USA Tax charges a flat fee of $3.49 for debit cards and 1.89% of payments made with major credit cards.
- Pay USA Tax accepts overseas payments by a variety of accepted cards (Accel, Discover,
- Mastercard, NYCE, Pulse, Star, and Visa)
- You may pay by phone at 1-888-9-PAY-TAX (1-888-972-9829).
- Use this payment option by visiting https://www.payusatax.com/.
IRS tax payments should technically be remitted by the April deadline each tax year to avoid the extra cost of penalties and interest. This applies to all taxpayers (including US Citizens living abroad) – despite whether or not they qualify for the automatic filing extension of June 15. To get more information about late payments from the IRS, click here.