Reviews 4,000+ verified REVIEWS
Pricing plans
Compare all plans
Tax guide
Pricing plans
Compare all plans
Tax Guide
All articles

Form 1116: Claiming the Foreign Tax Credit [a detailed guide]

Form 1116: Claiming the Foreign Tax Credit [a detailed guide]

This article is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal or tax advice.

Always consult with a tax professional for your specific circumstances.

As a US taxpayer with foreign income, navigating the complexities of international taxation can be daunting.

Fortunately, the US government provides certain mechanisms to avoid double taxation, one of which is the Foreign Tax Credit.

This article will delve into the intricacies of Form 1116 - a crucial instrument in claiming the Foreign Tax Credit.

What is Form 1116?

Form 1116 is a tax form used by US citizens and resident aliens who have paid or accrued foreign taxes to a foreign country on income that is also subject to US tax.

The form is used to calculate and claim the Foreign Tax Credit, which is a non-refundable tax credit that reduces the US tax liability on a dollar-for-dollar basis for the foreign taxes paid.

Claiming foreign income on your tax return

When you earn income from foreign sources, that income is generally subject to taxation in the country it is earned in.

As a US citizen or resident alien, your worldwide income is also subject to US federal income tax, which could mean that the same income is taxed twice.

Form 1116 provides a way for taxpayers to avoid this double taxation.

NOTE! You have to report all your foreign income in US dollars on your US tax return. The IRS provides yearly average exchange rates, which can be used to convert foreign currency to US dollars, or you can use the exchange rate that was in effect on the day you received the income.

Options for avoiding double taxation

There are mainly two mechanisms available for US taxpayers to avoid double taxation on foreign-sourced income:

1. Foreign Tax Credit (Form 1116): This method allows taxpayers to claim a credit for the amount of foreign taxes paid or accrued. The credit reduces US tax liability on foreign-sourced income.

However, it's crucial to understand that the credit cannot exceed the amount of US tax liability on the foreign income.

2. Foreign Earned Income Exclusion (Form 2555): Alternatively, taxpayers may be eligible to exclude a certain amount of foreign earned income from their US taxable income.

This is particularly useful for individuals who have earned income (such as wages or self-employment income) from foreign sources.

Form 1116 vs Form 2555

Form 2555 allows you to exclude a certain amount of foreign earned income from your US taxable income.

Making the choice between the Foreign Tax Credit and Foreign Earned Income Exclusion can be complex and depends on various factors, including the nature of your foreign income, your residency status, and the amount of foreign tax paid.

NOTE! Once you choose to exclude foreign earned income, you cannot take the Foreign Tax Credit on the same income. Furthermore, if you choose to exclude foreign earned income, you cannot switch to the FTC for a certain number of years without the approval of the IRS.

Pro tip: To decide which option is more beneficial for your specific tax situation, consult a tax pro with expertise in international taxation.

Unsure of each piece to be filed?
Get your free tax consultation

Schedule my call

Who can file Form 1116: Requirements to qualify for the Foreign Tax Credit

To file Form 1116, you must meet specific criteria:

  1. US taxpayer: You must be a US citizen or resident alien.
  2. Foreign income: You must have income sourced from a foreign country and must have paid or accrued taxes on this income to a foreign government. This can include wages, interest, dividends, and royalties.
  3. Legitimate operations: The income and tax payments should be legal and must meet the US standards for taxation.
  4. Tax liability: You must have a US tax liability on which the Foreign Tax Credit can be applied.

    also -
  5. Not qualified for De Minimis Exception: If your foreign taxes paid are below a certain threshold ($300 for individuals and $600 for married filing jointly), you might not need to file Form 1116 and can claim the credit directly on your tax return.
  6. No double benefits: You cannot claim both the Foreign Tax Credit and Foreign Earned Income Exclusion on the same income.

NOTE! Foreign Tax Credit cannot be applied to taxes paid on income that has already been excluded by the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion.

How to calculate Foreign Tax Credit on Form 1116?

Calculating the Foreign Tax Credit using Form 1116 can be complex, especially if you have multiple sources of foreign income or have paid taxes to more than one foreign country.

a) Form 1116 Foreign Tax Credit example

Let’s start with a simple example.

Assume that you are a US citizen living abroad and have earned $10,000 in foreign income during the tax year, and paid $3,000 in foreign taxes on that income. To calculate the Foreign Tax Credit on Form 1116, you’ll need to know your US tax liability on that foreign income.

Assume your US tax liability on this foreign income is $2,500. In this case, your Foreign Tax Credit would be $2,500, as this is the US tax liability on the foreign-sourced income.

NOTE! You can't claim more in credit than what you owe in US taxes on the foreign income.

b) The limitation equation

The IRS uses a limitation equation to ensure that the Foreign Tax Credit you claim is not more than your proportional US tax liability on your foreign income.

The equation is:

Foreign Tax Credit = (Foreign Source Income / Worldwide Income) x US Tax Liability

This equation limits the amount of Foreign Tax Credit to the US tax liability on the foreign-sourced portion of your total income.

c) Categories of income

Form 1116 requires taxpayers to separate their foreign income and taxes into different categories, such as:

  • Passive Category Income (e.g., interest, dividends, royalties);
  • General Category Income (e.g., wages, salaries, business income);
  • Section 901(j) income;
  • Certain income re-sourced by treaty;
  • Lump-sum distributions.

Each category has different rules and limitations. You may have to fill out multiple Forms 1116 if you have income in different categories.

d) Carryback and carryover

If your credit is limited and you cannot claim the full amount of foreign taxes paid or accrued in the current year, you may be able to carry back the unused foreign taxes to a prior tax year or carry them forward to a future tax year.

Calculating and claiming the Foreign Tax Credit using Form 1116 can be intricate and might require meticulous record-keeping and understanding of tax laws.

It is often a good idea to consult a tax professional, especially if you have multiple sources of foreign income or are unsure about the categorization or other aspects of Form 1116.

Understanding the structure of Form 1116

Form 1116 is structured in several parts, including:

  • Part I: Foreign Tax Credit Computation. Here, you will need to provide details of your foreign-source income.
  • Part II: Foreign Taxes Paid or Accrued. This section requires details of the foreign taxes paid or accrued during the tax year.
  • Part III: Figuring the Credit. In this section, you’ll compute the amount of credit eligible to be claimed on your US tax return.
  • Part IV: Summary of Credits. This part asks you to summarize the foreign tax credits claimed on other Forms 1116 for the current tax year.

Form 1116 preview



How to report foreign income and file Form 1116

Filing Form 1116 can be intricate, so it’s essential to approach it methodically. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you accurately report your foreign income:

Step 1: Gather your documents

Start by collecting all the necessary documents that show your foreign income and taxes paid.

This could include:

  • Foreign tax returns,
  • Wage statements,
  • Bank statements,
  • Dividend distribution notices.

Step 2: Determine eligibility for foreign tax credit

Ensure you meet the criteria for claiming the Foreign Tax Credit.

Generally, this means you should have foreign income and have paid or accrued tax on that income to a foreign government.

Step 3: Choose between form 1116 and form 2555

As mentioned earlier, you have options when it comes to avoiding double taxation.

If you qualify, decide between filing Form 1116 for Foreign Tax Credit and Form 2555 for Foreign Earned Income Exclusion.

Step 4: Separate income into categories

Identify the different types of foreign income you have earned, and segregate them into appropriate categories as defined by the IRS (e.g. Passive, General, etc.).

Step 5: Calculate the foreign tax credit

Use the limitation equation mentioned in the previous section to calculate your Foreign Tax Credit.

Ensure that you do this for each category of income if you have multiple.

Step 6: Complete form 1116

Fill out Form 1116, ensuring that you:

  • Report all your foreign income in US dollars. Use the Treasury Reporting Rates of Exchange if you need to convert currencies.
  • Allocate deductions and credits between foreign and US income.
  • Complete a separate Form 1116 for each category of income.
  • Include carryover amounts if applicable.

Step 7: Attach form 1116 to your tax return

Once you have completed Form 1116, attach it to your federal tax return. This will usually be Form 1040 or 1040-SR.

Step 8: Review and submit

Before submitting your tax return, review Form 1116 and all attached documents for accuracy. Make sure you haven’t missed any income or tax payments.

Step 9: Keep records

Maintain copies of your tax return, Form 1116, and all supporting documents for at least three years. You may need them for future reference or in case of an IRS inquiry.

Step 10: Monitor for carrybacks or carryovers

If you have unused foreign tax credits, keep track of them. You might be able to use them in future tax years or apply them retroactively to past years.

NOTE! Filing Form 1116 is a complex process, and even small errors can cause complications with the IRS. Seek the advice of a tax expert, especially if you have multiple sources of foreign income.

Never had pro tax help before?
Check out how it works

See the process

Bonus: Common mistakes to avoid

  1. Not Reporting All Foreign Income: Underreporting can result in penalties. Ensure you report all foreign income, regardless of whether tax was paid.
  2. Double Benefits: Be cautious not to claim both the Foreign Tax Credit and Foreign Earned Income Exclusion on the same income.
  3. Incorrect Exchange Rates: Use the correct exchange rates as per IRS guidelines.
  4. Failing to Categorize Income Properly: Properly categorize your foreign income in Part I to avoid miscalculations.

"The Foreign Tax Credit can be a lifesaver for US taxpayers with foreign income, but it's vital to pay close attention to the details to avoid common mistakes." - Tax Expert.

Bottom line

Form 1116 plays a pivotal role for US taxpayers with foreign-sourced income. By understanding the requirements and steps needed to complete this form, you can potentially reduce or eliminate double taxation on your foreign income.

Given the complexity of international tax law, don’t hesitate to seek professional guidance to ensure that your taxes are filed accurately and efficiently.

Ines Zemelman, EA
Founder of TFX